How Do You Know What Water Polo Ball Size You Need?
- There are five graduated sizes of water polo balls-1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
- Size 1 is also known as the “Novelty” water polo ball or a “Mini Trainer” water polo ball, and is typically for children ages 2-6
- Size 2 is used for 10 and under boys and girls and even younger Splashball players.
- Size 3 is for 12 and under boys and girls.
- Size 4 is the official size for the Women’s Open, Girls HS, Girls 18s and 16s as well as boys and girls 14 and under
- Size 5 is the official size for the Men’s Open category, as well as boys 16 and up
Inflating Your Ball
Proper inflation of your water polo ball is very important. Training with the correct weight and inflation of the ball will ensure that you and your team will be as well prepared as possible when it comes time to play with an official game ball. Wetting your inflation needle before inserting it into the ball will make it easier to remove once the ball is inflated to the correct pressure.
For a size 5 ball, inflate it to 13-14 psi (pounds per square inch) and for a size 4, the standard is 12-13 psi. The smaller sizes do not have a standardized psi, so fill to your discretion and make sure it’s viable in the water with your team. Check the inflation of your balls regularly, as they slowly lose air from frequent use.